Sunday, January 8, 2012

My how music has changed.

On the day I was born, the number one song was Ray Charles' I Can't Stop Lovin' You.
 

Now there's nothing wrong with this song but it's really not my taste.

In less than two years, the music world would be turned upside down by the Beatles and things would never be the same again.



The reality is that until about 1968, I only knew about Elvis and the Beatles.
The first song I really remember was Sugar, Sugar by the Archies. 



Ironically, this was the number one song in England the day my husband was born.
Thankfully, my tastes improved after that.

Thanks to my uncle, I developed a taste for Motown, The Carpenters, and oddball music like this one:

May There Always Be Sunshine, a Russian children's song that was on an album of international songs my mother gave me. I still remember the Russian words.

In high school, I was into disco. You had to choose a side: disco or rock.  My brother was in the Kiss Army and I was an ABBA queen.

 




With the advent of MTV, I was seriously hooked on music. Duran Duran, The Human League, The Police, basically anything out of Europe like these:

Berlin- The Metro



The Lightning Seeds- Life of Riley

By the 1990's, I had was still into European pop and a newly found love of classical music.



Enigma - Sadeness I



Tommaso Albinoni - Adagio in G (in Gallipoli)



Theme from Schindler's List - John Williams/Itzak Perlman



Ace of Base - Beautiful Life

But I was discovering an edgier side; an angrier side
Gangsta's Paradise- Coolio


Alanis Morrisette- You Oughta Know



The end of the 90s brought a whole new world of music into my life: real English pop and rock that didn't make it across the pond thanks to a certain Englishman


Robbie Williams - Millennium

Now, in my forties, my musical taste is all over the place from the songs I grew up with to rap, hip hop, pop, rock, country, classical, and more.


Timbaland - Carryout


I'll end this musical memory walk with two of my absolute favorites
John Lennon's Imagine and Green Day's cover of John's Lennon's Working Class Hero







No comments:

Post a Comment