Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Who's Turning 50 in 2012

With my 50th birthday coming up, I wondered who else was turning 50 next year.

Here's a short list of who will be turning 50 with me:

  • Daphne Zuniga - Princess Vespa from Spaceballs - October 28
  • Nia Vardalos -My Big Fat Greek Wedding - September 24
  • Janine Turner - Maggie from Northern Exposure - December 6
  • Aida Turturo - Janice from The Sopranos - September 25
  • Ally Sheedy - The Breakfast Club - June 13
  • Laura San Giacomo - Sex, Lies, and Videotapes - November 14
  • Kelly Preston - Battlefield Earth, From Dusk to Dawn - October 13
  • Cheri Oteri - Saturday Night Live - September 19
  • Joan Osbourne - One of Us  - July 8
  • Rosie O'Donnell - March 21
  • Kristy McNichols - Family - September 11
  • Star Jones - The View - March 24
  • Felicity Huffman  - Desperate Housewives - December 9
  • Gina Gershon - Showgirls - June 9
  • Genie Francis - Laura Spencer on General Hospital - May 26
  • Jodie Foster - Silence of the Lambs - November 19
  • Deborah Foreman - Valley Girls - October 12
  • Joan Cusack - Grosse Point Blank, Toys - October 11
  • Paula Abdul - American Idol - June 19
So you may have noticed I only listed women.
The reason is that turning 50 is different for women that men. Society tells us that women are old at 50 while men, like Jon Bon Jovi, Tom Colicchio, and Cary Elwes, simply become mature and handsome.

Of course many women look fantastic at 50 but society has a different message for women; you're old now.
If we date younger men, we're cougars but men can date much younger women and the worst they're called is  dirty old man.

I want to turn 50 on my own terms. Sure I'm going to continue to dye my hair and wear make up. But I'm also going to acknowledge that have some grey hair and wrinkles now and that's ok.
I want to be happy turning fifty, not feel old.

This is me at about age 1-1/2. Gotta love the hair net and chubby knees!

No comments:

Post a Comment